Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science; Principal Investigator, Institute for Data, Systems, and Society
Dimitri Bertsekas is the McAfee Professor of Engineering in MIT’s Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and a principal investigator at the Institute for Data, Systems, and Society. Bertsekas is also a professor at Arizona State University. His research spans several fields, including optimization, control, large-scale computation, and data communication networks. Bertsekas has written numerous books, including some that serve as textbooks at MIT. His books include Reinforcement Learning and Optimal Control, Abstract Dynamic Programming, and Convex Optimization Theory.
Before coming to MIT, Bertsekas held faculty positions at Stanford University and the University of Illinois, Urbana. He has received an INFORMS John von Neumann Theory Prize, a Khachiyan Prize for Life-Time Accomplishments in Optimization, an ACC Richard E. Bellman Control Heritage Award, and an ACC John R. Ragazzini Education Award. He is an elected member of the National Academy of Engineering. He earned a BS in engineering at the National Technical University of Athens, and an MS in electrical engineering at the George Washington University, and a PhD at MIT.
- Bertsekas, D. P. (2019). Reinforcement Learning and Optimal Control. Athena Scientific.
- Bertsekas, D. P. (2019). Robust Shortest Path Planning and Semicontractive Dynamic Programming. Naval Research Logistics (NRL) 66 (1), 15-37.
- Bertsekas, D. P. (2018). Feature-Based Aggregation and Deep Reinforcement Learning: A Survey and Some New Implementations. IEEE/CAA Journal of Automatica Sinica 6 (1), 1-31.
- Bertsekas, D. P. (2018). Stable Optimal Control and Semicontractive Dynamic Programming. SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization 56 (1), 231-252.
- November 19, 2018: LIDS News, Dimitri Bertsekas and John Tsitsiklis awarded 2018 INFORMS John von Neumann Theory Prize.
- September 9, 2015: LIDS News, Dimitri Bertsekas Awarded 2015 SIAM/MOS George B. Dantzig Prize.
- September 20, 2014: LIDS News, Dimitri Bertsekas is a 2014 winner of the Khachiyan Prize.
- June 25, 2014: LIDS News, Dimitri Bertsekas receives 2014 Richard Bellman Heritage Award.