Professor, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS)
Duane Boning is the Clarence J. LeBel Professor in MIT’s Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer, associate director for computation and CAD at the Microsystems Technology Laboratories, engineering faculty co-director of the Leaders for Global Operations program, and associate chair of the faculty at MIT. His research is focused on the modeling and control of variation in manufacturing, including IC, photonics, and MEMS processes, devices, and circuits. His research interests include statistical and machine learning methods for design and manufacturing in advanced technologies.
Before coming to MIT, Boning worked at the Texas Instruments Semiconductor Process and Design Center on semiconductor process representation, process/device simulation tool integration, and statistical modeling and optimization. He earned an SB, SM, and PhD in electrical engineering and computer science at MIT.
- Elfadel, I., Li, X., and Boning, D. (2019). Eds., Machine Learning for VLSI Computer-Aided Design. ISBN 978-3-030-04666-8, pp. 694, Springer
- Lang, C. I. and Boning, D. S. (2019). Modeling and Controlling Layout Dependent Variations in Semi-Additive Copper Electrochemical Plating. IEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 366-373
- Lang, C. I. and Boning, D. S. (2019). Modeling Spin Coating Over Topography and Uniformity Improvements Through Fill Patterns for Advanced Packaging Technologies. IEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 62-69
- Chen, H., Zhang, H., Boning, D., and Hsieh, C. J. (2019). Robust Decision Trees Against Adversarial Examples. International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), Long Beach, CA
- August 16, 2016: MIT News, Duane Boning named head of Leaders for Global Operations program.