Director, MIT Biomanufacturing Research Program; Executive Director, MIT Consortium on Adventitious Agent Contamination in Biomanufacturing
Stacy Springs serves as the senior director of programs at MIT’s Center for Biomedical Innovation (CBI) and executive director of both MIT’s Biomanufacturing Program and its Consortium on Adventitious Agent Contamination in Biomanufacturing (CAACB). The objective of the Biomanufacturing Program is to develop new knowledge, science, technologies, and strategies that advance the manufacture and global delivery of high quality biopharmaceuticals. The CAACB pools biopharmaceutical manufacturing expertise in the area of adventitious agent contamination to better enable the safe and dependable delivery of life-saving biologics. In addition, Springs serves as the Executive Director of the Food Supply Chain Analytics and Sensing (FSAS) Initiative at MIT’s Sloan School of Management. Before joining MIT, Springs was a senior scientist and director of collaborative projects at Tetralogic Pharmaceuticals, an oncology drug discovery company in Malvern, Penn. She earned a PhD in chemistry from the University of Texas, Austin, and did her postdoctoral training in protein and biophysical chemistry at Princeton University.
- Guttieres, D., Sinskey, A.J., Springs, S.L. (2021). Models to inform neutralizing antibody therapy strategies during pandemics: the case of SARS-CoV-2. Antibody Therapeutics.
- Guttieres, D., Sinskey, A.J.,Springs, S.L. (2021). Modeling Framework to Evaluate Vaccine Strategies against the COVID-19 Pandemic. Systems, 9(1), 4.
- Barone, P.W., Wiebe, M.E., Leung, J.C., Hussein, I.T.M., Keumurian, F.J., Springs, S.L., et al. (2020). Viral contamination in biologic manufacture and implications for emerging therapies. Nature Biotechnology, 1-10.
- Barone, P.W., Avgerinos, S., Ballard, R., Brussel, A., Clark, P., Dowd, C., Springs, S.L., et al. (2019). Biopharmaceutical Industry Approaches to Facility Segregation for Viral Safety: An Effort from the Consortium on Adventitious Agent Contamination in Biomanufacturing. PDA Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology 73 (2), 191-203.
- Guttieres, D., Stewart, S., Wolfrum, J., Springs, S. (2019). Cyberbiosecurity in Advanced Manufacturing Models. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology 7, 210.
- April 27, 2020: MIT News, Study analyzes contamination in drug manufacturing plants.
- May 22, 2017: MIT News, Spotlight on engineering staff.
- November 3, 2016: MIT News, MIT Sloan takes interdisciplinary approach to managing food safety risks in China.
- December 22, 2015: MIT News, MIT researchers author U.S. chapter of UNESCO Science Report.