Associate Dean, Business Analytics; Professor, Operations Research, MIT Sloan School of Management
Dimitris Bertsimas is the Boeing Professor of Operations Research, the associate dean of business analytics, and faculty director of the master of business analytics at the MIT Sloan School of Management. His research interests include optimization, machine learning and applied probability, and their applications in health care, finance, operations management and transportation. Bertsimas is also editor in chief of INFORMS Journal of Optimization and former department editor for Optimization for Management Science and Financial Engineering in Operations Research. He is a member of the National Academy of Engineering, an INFORMS fellow, and has received numerous awards including the Pierskalla award for best paper in health care, the Morse, Farkas, Erlang and Bodossaki prizes, the SIAM prize in optimization, and a Presidential young investigator award. Bertsimas has co-authored more than 200 scientific papers and four graduate-level textbooks. He also co-founded several companies including Dynamic Ideas, D2 Hawkeye, and Benefits Science Technologies. He earned an SM and PhD in applied mathematics and operations research from MIT.
- Bertsimas, D., Kallus, N. (2020). From predictive to prescriptive analytics. Management Science 66 (3), 1025-1044.
- Bertsimas, D., Van Parys, B. (2020). Sparse high-dimensional regression: Exact scalable algorithms and phase transitions. The Annals of Statistics 48 (1), 300-323.
- Bertsimas, D. and Dunn, J. (2019). Machine Learning under a Modern Optimization Lens. Dynamic Ideas.
- Bertsimas, D., Dunn, J., Mundru, N. (2019). Optimal prescriptive trees. INFORMS Journal on Optimization 1 (2), 164-183.
- Bertsimas, D., Sim, M., Zhang, M. (2019). Adaptive distributionally robust optimization. Management Science 65 (2), 604-618.
- May 18, 2021: MIT News, Behind Covid-19 vaccine development.
- April 15, 2020: Sloan News, MIT Sloan models track COVID-19 spread in communities and predict patient outcomes.
- November 7, 2018: Sloan News, Managing and visualizing big data.
- November 5, 2018: Wired, What the Boston School Bus Schedule Can Teach Us About AI.
- April 10, 2018: MIT News, Pioneering digital collaborations.
- February 18, 2016: MIT News, Startup optimizes corporate health care plans.