Associate Dean of Social and Ethical Responsibilities of Computing, Schwarzman College of Computing; Associate Professor, Aeronautics and Astronautics
Julie Shah is an associate professor in MIT’s Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics and heads the Interactive Robotics Group at the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory. Shah is also co-associate dean of Social and Ethical Responsibilities of Computing for the MIT Stephen A. Schwarzman College of Computing. Shah’s research group focuses on developing interactive robots and improving human-robot collaboration by drawing on expertise in artificial and human intelligence, and systems engineering.
Shah previously worked at Boeing Research and Technology, where she developed innovative methods for enabling fluid human-robot teamwork in time-critical, safety-critical domains, ranging from manufacturing to surgery to space exploration. She has received an NSF Career award, an MIT Technology Review TR35 award, and her work on industrial human-robot collaboration has been recognized by Tech Review as a breakthrough technology. She earned a BS and MS in aeronautics and astronautics, and a PhD in autonomous systems, from MIT.
- Decision-Making for Bidirectional Communication in Sequential Human-Robot Collaborative Tasks. Proceedings of the 2020 ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction, 329-341.
- Evaluating the Interpretability of the Knowledge Compilation Map: Communicating Logical Statements Effectively. International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), Macau, China.
- Bayesian Estimator for Partial Trajectory Alignment. Proceedings of Robotics: Science and Systems XV, Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany.
- Fast Online Segmentation of Activities from Partial Trajectories. 19th International Conference on Advanced Robotics (ICRA), Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
- March 5, 2020: MIT News, Showing robots how to do your chores.
- February 4, 2020: MIT News, A college for the computing age.
- December 10, 2019: MIT News, Fostering forward momentum.
- May 24, 2019: MIT News, 3 Questions: The social implications and responsibilities of computing.
- March 2017: CSAIL CAP Podcasts, Humans and Intelligent Machine Support through Robotics and Automation with Julie Shah.