Head, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering; Core Faculty, Institute for Data, Systems, and Society
Ali Jadbabaie is the JR East Professor of Engineering and Head of MIT’s Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. He is a core faculty member of the Institute for Data, Systems, and Society; an investigator in the Laboratory for Information and Decision System; and director of the Sociotechnical Systems Research Center. Jadbabaie’s research interests include network science, network economics, decision theory, consensus and information aggregation in social networks, cooperative control of multi-agent systems, applications of algebraic topology in network science and analysis, optimization, and control of networked dynamical systems in physics, engineering and biology.
Jadbabaie has received an NSF Career Award, an Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award and a Vannevar Bush Faculty Fellowship. He earned a BS in electrical engineering from Sharif University, an MS in electrical engineering from the University of New Mexico, and a PhD in control and dynamical systems from Caltech.
- Li, H., Farnia, F., Das, S., and Jadbabaie, A. (2022). On Convergence of Gradient Descent Ascent: A Tight Local Analysis. Proceedings of International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML)
- Das, S., Jadbabaie, A., Farnia, F., William Wang, W. (2022).GAT-GMM: Generative Adversarial Training for Gaussian Mixture Models. SIAM Journal on Mathematics of Data Science (SIMODS)
- Zhang, J., Lin, H., Das, S., Sra, S., and Jadbabaie, A. (2022). Beyond Worst-Case Analysis in Stochastic Approximation: Moment Estimation Improves Instance Complexity. Proceedings of International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML)
- Oct. 29, 2019. Foreign Policy, Baghdadi’s Martyrdom Bump
- Jul. 10, 2019. MIT News, IDSS hosts inaugural Learning for Dynamics and Control conference.
- Apr. 30, 2019. IDSS News,Team Led by Ali Jadbabaie Receives ARO MURI Award.
- Mar. 12, 2019. MIT News, CEE event showcases multidisciplinary opportunities.
- Nov. 14, 2016. MIT News, Tackling society’s big problems with systems theory.