Anette “Peko” Hosoi
Neil and Jane Pappalardo Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Anette “Peko” Hosoi is the Neil and Jane Pappalardo Professor of Mechanical Engineering with appointments in the Institute for Data, Systems, and Society (IDSS) and Mathematics at MIT. Hosoi’s research interests include fluid dynamics, bio-inspired design, sports data and technology, and optimization of biological systems with applications to the emergent field of soft robotics. Hosoi is the co-founder of the MIT Sports Lab. Hosoi received an AB in physics from Princeton University, and an MA and PhD in physics from the University of Chicago.
Hosoi has received numerous awards including the APS Stanley Corrsin Award, the Bose Award for Excellence in Teaching, and the Jacob P. Den Hartog Distinguished Educator Award.
- So, W., Lohia, P., Pimplikar, R.,Hosoi, A.E., D’Ignazio, C. (2022). Beyond Fairness: Reparative Algorithms to Address Historical Injustices of Housing Discrimination in the US. In 2022 ACM Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency (FAccT ’22), June 21–24, 2022, Seoul, Republic of Korea. ACM, New York, NY, USA 18 Pages. https://doi.org/10.1145/3531146.3533160
- Guasto, J. S.,Estrada, J. B., Menolascina, F., Burton, L. J., Patel, M., Franck, C., Hosoi, A. E., Zimmer, R. K., Stocker, R. (2020). Flagellar kinematics reveals the role of environment in shaping sperm motility. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 17 (170), 20200525.
- Bosquet, A., Mueller, C., Hosoi, A.E., (2020). Body scan processing, generative design, and multiobjective evaluation of sports bras. Applied Sciences 10 (17), 6126.
- Hosoi, A. E., (2019). Corrsin lecture on hairy hydrodynamics. Physical Review Fluids 4 (11), 110508.
- September 7, 2022: MIT IDSS, Beyond Fairness
- April 27, 2022: MIT, Beyond Fairness: Big Data, Racial Justice & Housing
- August 25, 2021: MIT News, 3 Questions: Peko Hosoi on the data-driven reasoning behind MIT’s Covid-19 policies for the fall.
- December 15, 2020: MIT News, Making data-informed Covid-19 testing plans.
- May 15, 2020: MIT News, A data-driven response to a pandemic.
- November 7, 2018: MIT News, Study: There’s real skill in fantasy sports.