Jesús Del Alamo
Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Jesús del Alamo is the Donner Professor and Professor of Electrical Engineering in MIT’s Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. His research focuses on transistors and other semiconductor devices. He has worked on silicon solar cells, Si Bipolar Junction Transistors, Si Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistors (MOSFETs), SiGe heterostructure devices, GaAs Pseudomorphic High Electron Mobility Transistors (PHEMTs), InGaAs High Electron Mobility Transistors (HEMTs) and MOSFETs, InGaSb HEMTs, GaN HEMTs and MOSFETs, and more recently Diamond MOSFETs. He has also investigated quantum-effect devices based on AlGaAs/GaAs heterostructures. His current research interests include the physics, technology, modeling and reliability of new III-V compound semiconductor field-effect transistors for future logic, high-frequency and power applications. He is also interested in fundamental reliability physics of GaN transistors for RF power amplification and power switching applications, as well as novel devices for analog computing.
Before coming to MIT, del Alamo worked on compound semiconductor electronics at NTT LSI Laboratories in Japan, and silicon photovoltaics at the Institute of Solar Energy of Polytechnic University of Madrid. Among his awards are the Louis D. Smullin Award for Excellence in Teaching and Amar Bose Award for Excellence in Teaching, the Intel Outstanding Researcher Award, the Semiconductor Research Corporation Technical Excellence Award and the Semiconductor Industry Association-Semiconductor Research Corporation University Researcher Award. He earned an MS and PhD from Stanford University.
- Lu, W., Y. Lee, J. C. Gertsch, J. A. Murdzek, A. S. Cavanagh, L. Kong, J. A. del Alamo and S. M. George, (2019). In situ Thermal Atomic Layer Etching for Sub-5 nm InGaAs Multi-gate MOSFETs. Nano Letters, Vol. 19, pp. 5159-5166.
- del Alamo, J. A. and E. S. Lee, (2019). Stability and Reliability of Lateral GaN Power Field-Effect Transistors. Invited Paper in Special Issue on Reliability of CMOS Logic, Memory, Power and Beyond CMOS Devices of IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 66, No. 11, pp. 4578-4590.
- Zhao, X., Vardi, A., del Alamo, J. A. (2019). Excess OFF-State Current in InGaAs FinFETs: Physics of the Parasitic Bipolar Effect. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 66, No. 5, pp. 2113-2118.
- Yin, Z., M. Tordjman, Y. Lee, A. Vardi, R. Kalish, J. A. del Alamo, (2018). Enhanced Transport in Transistor by Tuning Transition-Metal Oxide Electronic States Interfaced with Diamond. Science Advances 4, eaau0480.
- November 13, 2019: MTL News, Jesús del Alamo honored with 2019 University Research Award for excellence in semiconductor technology research.
- January 27, 2015: EECS News, del Alamo, Ram are recipients of Bose Research Grants – for high risk yet potential high impact.
- December 23, 2014: MIT News, Jesús del Alamo is named an American Physical Society Fellow.
- September 19, 2012: MIT News, Del Alamo receives SRC 2012 Technical Excellence Award.