Professor, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS); Co-Director, Eric and Wendy Schmidt Centre at Broad Institute
Caroline Uhler is a professor in MIT’s Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and an investigator in the Institute for Data, Systems, and Society. She is also co-director of The Eric and Wendy Schmidt Centre at the Broad Institute. Her research focuses on machine learning and statistics, with applications to single-cell biology, in particular on graphical models and causal inference, neural networks for representation learning and generative modeling, and their applications to studying gene regulatory networks based on a variety of single-cell data modalities.
Uhler is a Simons Investigator, a Sloan Research Fellow, and an elected member of the International Statistical Institute. She has received an NSF Career Award, a Sofja Kovalevskaja Award from the Humboldt Foundation, and a START Award from the Austrian Science Foundation. She earned a BS in biology, an MS in mathematics, and an MEd from the University of Zurich, and a PhD in statistics from the University of California, Berkeley.
- Agrawal, R., Shanmugam, K., Squires, C., Uhler, C., Yang, K. D. (2019). ABCD-Strategy: Budgeted Experimental Design for Targeted Causal Structure Discovery. Proceedings of Machine Learning Research 89 (AISTATS), pp. 3400-3409.
- Katz, D., Shanmugam, K., Squires, C., Uhler, C. (2019). Size of Interventional Markov Equivalence Classes in Random DAG Models Proceedings of Machine Learning Research 89 (AISTATS), pp. 3234-3243.
- Yang, K. D., Uhler, C. (2019). Scalable Unbalanced Optimal Transport Using Generative Adversarial Networks. International Conference on Learning Representation (ICLR).
- Yang, K. D., Katcoff, A., Uhler, C. (2018). Characterizing and Learning Equivalence Classes of Causal DAGs under Interventions International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML).
- February 16, 2021: MIT News, A machine-learning approach to finding treatment options for Covid-19.
- January 31, 2020: LIDS News, LIDS faculty member Caroline Uhler and LIDS Affiliate Member Elchanan Mossel receive Simons Investigator Awards.
- May 25,2018: IDSS News, Caroline Uhler awarded J-WAFS Seed Grant for research on climate impacts on agriculture.
- April 12, 2017: LIDS News, Caroline Uhler receives 2017 NSF Career Award.
- February 21, 2017: MIT News, Women in Data Science conference highlights impactful work and builds community.