Associate Professor, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS); Co-Director, Eric and Wendy Schmidt Centre at Broad Institute
Caroline Uhler is an associate professor in MIT’s Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and an investigator in the Institute for Data, Systems, and Society, she is also co-director of The Eric and Wendy Schmidt Centre at Broad Institute. Her research focuses on machine learning and statistics, with applications to single-cell biology, in particular on graphical models and causal inference, neural networks for representation learning and generative modeling, and their applications to studying gene regulatory networks based on a variety of single-cell data modalities.
Uhler is a Simons Investigator, a Sloan Research Fellow, and an elected member of the International Statistical Institute. She has received an NSF Career Award, a Sofja Kovalevskaja Award from the Humboldt Foundation, and a START Award from the Austrian Science Foundation. She earned a BS in biology, an MS in mathematics, and an MEd from the University of Zurich, and a PhD in statistics from the University of California, Berkeley.
- Agrawal, R., Shanmugam, K., Squires, C., Uhler, C., Yang, K. D. (2019). ABCD-Strategy: Budgeted Experimental Design for Targeted Causal Structure Discovery. Proceedings of Machine Learning Research 89 (AISTATS), pp. 3400-3409.
- Katz, D., Shanmugam, K., Squires, C., Uhler, C. (2019). Size of Interventional Markov Equivalence Classes in Random DAG Models Proceedings of Machine Learning Research 89 (AISTATS), pp. 3234-3243.
- Yang, K. D., Uhler, C. (2019). Scalable Unbalanced Optimal Transport Using Generative Adversarial Networks. International Conference on Learning Representation (ICLR).
- Yang, K. D., Katcoff, A., Uhler, C. (2018). Characterizing and Learning Equivalence Classes of Causal DAGs under Interventions International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML).
- February 16, 2021: MIT News, A machine-learning approach to finding treatment options for Covid-19.
- January 31, 2020: LIDS News, LIDS faculty member Caroline Uhler and LIDS Affiliate Member Elchanan Mossel receive Simons Investigator Awards.
- May 25,2018: IDSS News, Caroline Uhler awarded J-WAFS Seed Grant for research on climate impacts on agriculture.
- April 12, 2017: LIDS News, Caroline Uhler receives 2017 NSF Career Award.
- February 21, 2017: MIT News, Women in Data Science conference highlights impactful work and builds community.